Friday, September 16, 2005

confessions of a yarn snob

I finished the one-skein wonder! It's extremely hard to take pictures of yourself wearing something that's only on your shoulders, but I have a couple and I'll upload them when I get home.

Yesterday Mom and I went to JoAnn's Fabrics for... well, she wanted to go, and who am I to deny a trip to the fabric store? But surprisingly enough, I didn't even look at the fabric (and the Halloween fabric all came in!) or patterns.

I wandered around the craft section, forgot how big the buttons for the not-so-shrunken cardigan are supposed to be (1/4", I thought, and I was right, but I didn't see any I liked, plus I don't even have the yarn yet so how could I buy buttons to match something I don't have...), and then wound up in the yarn section. Thinking.

Now, I'm all for the "knit fabric doesn't behave like actual fabric" thing. We all know this. But I distinctly remember, from my first anime convention ever, a Japanese cosplayer who had crocheted her Ulala costume. And it was awesome. And then I was thinking "hey, what the heck is that symbol from Full Metal Alchemist... Could that be cabled using some of the tree techniques from that Knitty article?"

Anyway, I looked over the yarn store offerings for those two, if I ever decided to go completely insane (for what it's worth, I look terrible in pink wigs and everyone does Edward anyway and I already have a big knitting costume project that uses Lionbrand yarn), and then Mom decided that it'd be a nice birthday present for Grandma if I knit her a nice throw out of Homespun. So now I have five skeins of Homespun and a new circular needle and about two inches of your standard basic "gee I know how to knit!" Homespun in garter stitch.

But it's for her birthday... and who am I to deny Grandma something like that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home