New Knitty!
So since Kati wrote about the new Magknits, I'm going to write about the new Knitty.
Overall, some cute stuff, even if I won't wear it myself. I'm not a fan of big shrugs -- ones that are big in the sense of drapey or large-gauged (so that's Blackberry and Lacey). The cables (Samus, Josephine, Leaves in Relief) are fun, but I've come to the conclusion that I just don't wear aran-type cabled things. Samus, like Rogue from X-Men, does not equal Celtic cables. Streamlined, well-fitted, but not cables, despite the Aran pun. Arisaig is adorable... if you want to knit on 1s and 2s (ayyy!), but it's the only thing I could actually see myself wanting to actually wear. Revolution is an interesting idea, but if I wanted to make a fun and funky jacket that looks like a tailor made it, I'd either go for the Sgt. Pepper's jacket or the Shocking! jacket from IK Winter '04. (That or I'd get an actual tailored jacket.) Edgar is interesting in that I'm trying to think of an easy pattern for Grandma to do with two skeins of Silk Garden, but right now I'm thinking she'll be good with straight garter (she's blind in one eye and has no peripheral vision in the other -- garter stitch it is).
The others are nice enough, but again, a lot of this stuff isn't something I'd make for myself. Except for possibly the leaf socks. But I do like the ideas and the design work that came out, so. Nicely done issue, some good designs, some good ideas, but some of this stuff just isn't my thing, you know? Which is what I've realized about myself as a knitter: not everything is for me.
I'm wondering if there was yarn sponsoring going on for this issue: a lot of Lamb's Pride and Goddess yarns got used this go-round. (And Goddess yarns are expensive, aren't they?)
Yup, that's about it for now. BACK TO WORK, SLACKER.
Overall, some cute stuff, even if I won't wear it myself. I'm not a fan of big shrugs -- ones that are big in the sense of drapey or large-gauged (so that's Blackberry and Lacey). The cables (Samus, Josephine, Leaves in Relief) are fun, but I've come to the conclusion that I just don't wear aran-type cabled things. Samus, like Rogue from X-Men, does not equal Celtic cables. Streamlined, well-fitted, but not cables, despite the Aran pun. Arisaig is adorable... if you want to knit on 1s and 2s (ayyy!), but it's the only thing I could actually see myself wanting to actually wear. Revolution is an interesting idea, but if I wanted to make a fun and funky jacket that looks like a tailor made it, I'd either go for the Sgt. Pepper's jacket or the Shocking! jacket from IK Winter '04. (That or I'd get an actual tailored jacket.) Edgar is interesting in that I'm trying to think of an easy pattern for Grandma to do with two skeins of Silk Garden, but right now I'm thinking she'll be good with straight garter (she's blind in one eye and has no peripheral vision in the other -- garter stitch it is).
The others are nice enough, but again, a lot of this stuff isn't something I'd make for myself. Except for possibly the leaf socks. But I do like the ideas and the design work that came out, so. Nicely done issue, some good designs, some good ideas, but some of this stuff just isn't my thing, you know? Which is what I've realized about myself as a knitter: not everything is for me.
I'm wondering if there was yarn sponsoring going on for this issue: a lot of Lamb's Pride and Goddess yarns got used this go-round. (And Goddess yarns are expensive, aren't they?)
Yup, that's about it for now. BACK TO WORK, SLACKER.
Labels: Jeanne



2 Comments:
WHAT WAS WITH ALL THE SHRUGS? SHOOT MYSELF.
Sorry. I am just cranky and tired of shrug patterns everywhere. What is wrong with a nice sweater? A nice sweater with shaping? I wouldn't knit leaves in relief, but it got SO many bonus points for being nicely fitted.
Samus needed shaping. Josephine needed a standing frontal shot (Why was that missing? What is wrong with the coat that there is no standing front shot?)
I liked Edgar and Bubby and Astrodome, though I am not knitting them.
Hipster is still a fanny pack. Sorry.
I think I would be happy if I never saw another shrug pattern, lacy shawl, or boxy cropped cardigan pattern again. Sigh.
Yeah, I thought "Hipster" would be something a little more... hip.
And shrugs are getting to the point where it's like "okay, enough already". If they haven't already gotten there. I'm making a one-skein wonder because it IS the sort of thing I'd wear to work (over a tanktop or something), but the big bulky ones? The super-drapey ones? Not so much. The little smooth and nicely-shaped ones I like (the Fiery Bolero, the one-skein wonder), but once you start adding all the excess, it's not for me.
Plus Josephine needed like ten million balls of yarn.
Post a Comment
<< Home