Motivation!
I made it to the beginning of Chart 2 last night, and, after putting in yarn-loop stitch markers, I decided that would not do. It's the Knitting Olympics, and I need the flashy gear. You don't go out to figure-skate in your warm-ups, you need glitz. Therefore, I went to the bead store and made myself some beaded stitch markers -- four edge markers (green) and a whole lot of middle markers (fuschia).
I don't know if you can see them here:

That is after Row 68 or so -- right when the first pattern starts changing into the second pattern. I've been stopping to rest my wrist every now and then, as I don't want to burn myself out, either. I'm lucky in that I get a lot of free time (I don't have classes on Mondays or Wednesdays), but I also have to take at least one day off (this Thursday). So I will be blogging and checking blogs even though it's supposed to be crunch time. Again with the ice-skating analogy -- I don't have Emily Hughes waiting in the wings in case I hurt my wrist and have to sit out.
So I'm trying to get ahead as much as I can while I can, but as another Peacock Feathers knitter pointed out, it only takes 17 rows a day to get it done. And the shawl progress calculator (in the sidebar) is a very handy tool for checking your progress. According to the calculator, I'm about 9% done.
Some notes on Peacock Feathers so far: the first chart is really, really easy. You barely have to reverse it, but just keep an eye on the sections close to the beginning or end of the section. And it seems really long (250 rows!), but 125 of those are WS rows, and those are always the same unless you've got a double YO in the previous row. I'm using my KachaKacha-kun (the Clover knitting counter) to keep track of how many rows I've worked and where I am in the pattern.
Finally, my last package of yarn arrived today, just in time to sit right where I can see it while I'm knitting:

On top is Beaverslide's McTaggart Tweed in Winter Rosehip (absolutely gorgeous color), below is Rowanspun DK in Mouse, and to the side is the Baghdad Blue Peace Fleece that I've been trying to do something with since November '04, and will get around to eventually. The basket is from Cost Plus, which we bought solely for storing yarn in. There is a lot more yarn in that basket, which you can probably tell due to the height of the yarn on top.
I am anxiously awaiting when I get to bring out the swift and ballwinder, but I have an enjoyable if attention-intensive knitting project I'm working on and no room on my table.
Finally, check out how many real knitting Olympians there are!
I don't know if you can see them here:

That is after Row 68 or so -- right when the first pattern starts changing into the second pattern. I've been stopping to rest my wrist every now and then, as I don't want to burn myself out, either. I'm lucky in that I get a lot of free time (I don't have classes on Mondays or Wednesdays), but I also have to take at least one day off (this Thursday). So I will be blogging and checking blogs even though it's supposed to be crunch time. Again with the ice-skating analogy -- I don't have Emily Hughes waiting in the wings in case I hurt my wrist and have to sit out.
So I'm trying to get ahead as much as I can while I can, but as another Peacock Feathers knitter pointed out, it only takes 17 rows a day to get it done. And the shawl progress calculator (in the sidebar) is a very handy tool for checking your progress. According to the calculator, I'm about 9% done.
Some notes on Peacock Feathers so far: the first chart is really, really easy. You barely have to reverse it, but just keep an eye on the sections close to the beginning or end of the section. And it seems really long (250 rows!), but 125 of those are WS rows, and those are always the same unless you've got a double YO in the previous row. I'm using my KachaKacha-kun (the Clover knitting counter) to keep track of how many rows I've worked and where I am in the pattern.
Finally, my last package of yarn arrived today, just in time to sit right where I can see it while I'm knitting:

On top is Beaverslide's McTaggart Tweed in Winter Rosehip (absolutely gorgeous color), below is Rowanspun DK in Mouse, and to the side is the Baghdad Blue Peace Fleece that I've been trying to do something with since November '04, and will get around to eventually. The basket is from Cost Plus, which we bought solely for storing yarn in. There is a lot more yarn in that basket, which you can probably tell due to the height of the yarn on top.
I am anxiously awaiting when I get to bring out the swift and ballwinder, but I have an enjoyable if attention-intensive knitting project I'm working on and no room on my table.
Finally, check out how many real knitting Olympians there are!
Labels: Jeanne



2 Comments:
Congrats on your progress. Keep up the good work. I too am going to make stitch markers. It has been on the burner for about 3 weeks now but with so many to look at on this project, might as well start now. Only problem is it will eat into my knitting time.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the comment - go Team Jeanne!!!!
I love your shawl - and totally agree that you needed a little bling. I have yet to tackle a lace project but perhaps after the Olympics are over... And that link to how many real knitting olympians there are is amazing...how fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home