Racing the Torch
I was starting to get nervous about my Knitting Olympics project, as I'm due to start on Friday with everyone else. However, it arrived today, and I'm breathing a big sigh of relief:

I'm known for being very picky about my reds, but the Ruby is a nice red. It's a blue-red, which is the kind I like, and it's a little darker than I expected, but it'll look pretty once it's made up. The pattern looks very detailed and nice, and definitely worth the cost. I ordered from the Needlearts Bookshop, and even though it took two weeks to get here (they shipped on the 25th, which was two weeks ago yesterday), they put the pattern in a clear binder sheet and included three sample packets of Eucalan wool wash, as well as tying the pattern with a ribbon.
However, because of the Knitting Olympics limitations, I'm not starting until Friday. I have class until one, and then I'll dart over to Soft Horizons, buy the necessary needle (a Clover 4 -- remember that I couldn't find one in Portland), and then get started at two with the Opening Ceremonies. While it's very tempting now that the yarn is here, I don't yet have the needle, and that's for the best.
But look at what I've done since Saturday:

The last seams have been sewn, the collar has been added, and all I have to do is add the zipper facings, the zipper, and weave in all the ends. Minus the ends, I'm more or less tied with Kati for finishing the cabled jacket. I wore it around the house yesterday after finishing the last sleeve seam, and it's really nice and warm. I approve! Once I get those last pieces done, I can officially take it off of the sidebar guilt-free. (Usually I just take them off because I've moved on to something else.)
I also got my Rowanspun DK in the mail on Monday, and that makes me happy too. I'm going to wait on my Beaverslide before I bust out the swift and ballwinder, but yarn is arriving, projects are getting seriously worked on, and I am attempting to hold myself back, too. (Maybe after the Olympics, I'll break down and order that Peace Fleece I've been thinking about for the past couple of days. But we'll see how my interview goes first.)

I'm known for being very picky about my reds, but the Ruby is a nice red. It's a blue-red, which is the kind I like, and it's a little darker than I expected, but it'll look pretty once it's made up. The pattern looks very detailed and nice, and definitely worth the cost. I ordered from the Needlearts Bookshop, and even though it took two weeks to get here (they shipped on the 25th, which was two weeks ago yesterday), they put the pattern in a clear binder sheet and included three sample packets of Eucalan wool wash, as well as tying the pattern with a ribbon.
However, because of the Knitting Olympics limitations, I'm not starting until Friday. I have class until one, and then I'll dart over to Soft Horizons, buy the necessary needle (a Clover 4 -- remember that I couldn't find one in Portland), and then get started at two with the Opening Ceremonies. While it's very tempting now that the yarn is here, I don't yet have the needle, and that's for the best.
But look at what I've done since Saturday:

The last seams have been sewn, the collar has been added, and all I have to do is add the zipper facings, the zipper, and weave in all the ends. Minus the ends, I'm more or less tied with Kati for finishing the cabled jacket. I wore it around the house yesterday after finishing the last sleeve seam, and it's really nice and warm. I approve! Once I get those last pieces done, I can officially take it off of the sidebar guilt-free. (Usually I just take them off because I've moved on to something else.)
I also got my Rowanspun DK in the mail on Monday, and that makes me happy too. I'm going to wait on my Beaverslide before I bust out the swift and ballwinder, but yarn is arriving, projects are getting seriously worked on, and I am attempting to hold myself back, too. (Maybe after the Olympics, I'll break down and order that Peace Fleece I've been thinking about for the past couple of days. But we'll see how my interview goes first.)
Labels: Jeanne



1 Comments:
Hey Jeanne,
we are on the same team (Team Lace USA) and running the same race (Peacock Feathers Shawl) I totally understand your nervousness and hope you do well. I will check in from time to time to chat if you don't mind as you never know when you will need moral support or a question answered. Good luck tomorrow.
Post a Comment
<< Home