Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Going for the Gold?

So the Yarn Harlot is hosting the 2006 Knitting Olympics. In short, challenge yourself to do something knitting-wise you thought you couldn't do, all within the timeframe of the Olympics, from flame lighting to flame out (February 10th to February 26th).

I suppose that my warm-up is to finish the cabled jacket -- I've reached the cabling above the wrist of the second sleeve, and then I go into the ribs and the endless, endless increasing before I go into the raglan decreases. If I can finish the cabled jacket (as in, seamed, collar, zipper, and all ends woven in) before the end of January, I too will join in the Olympics.

Since I already started Butterfly, Butterfly doesn't qualify for the Olympics. As it is, my goal for Butterfly is to have it done for a pre-graduation portrait. So I can put Butterfly aside until the weather is a little more seasonable for flirty pink lace with shiny beads.

So here's the question. If I do wind up qualifying for the Olympics, do I:
- go into the stash and knit myself as many socks as I can get done in sixteen days?
- go into the stash and knit myself some lace?
- break the yarn diet I've been on since October (!!!) and buy some Merino Style to make Nordic Memories a la Cosmicpluto?
- order the Peacock Feathers shawl, one of my "someday I'll get around to doing that" projects?
- order the Beaverslide Merino and try a cardigan Rogue this time?

I am in the mood to break the diet, especially since the boyfriend gave me a specific amount of money just for yarn stuff as a Christmas present. Plus I'll get to use my swift and ballwinder (yay!).

Any advice/enabling?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peacock Feathers! Or Rogue, but I thought you weren't into Celtic cables after all?

Tue Jan 17, 09:39:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Well, I think Rogue will work better for me as a cardigan instead of as a pullover. I can always use more cardigans... And the zipper will kind of tone down the Celtic affect, I think.

Tue Jan 17, 09:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger Kati said...

What do you think will be most likely to get finished, and is a challlenge/NOT 2x2 rib because you'll be bored with that? That would be my thought.

I think I'm going to do my essential stripe then because it's next in the queue- and actually finishing a sweater + weaving in all those stripe ends in two weeks will definitely be a challenge for me, the girl who takes five weeks to knit a sweater, and then five months to make said sweater wearable. And I want a sassy striped sweater.

Thu Jan 19, 10:06:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Actually, Peacock Feathers would probably be more likely to be finished within sixteen days. And would be cheaper than Rogue. However, knitting lace in the winter seems kind of counterproductive when I could be knitting something warm to wear. But then again, I already know that I can do Rogue; lace will definitely be more of a challenge.

Thu Jan 19, 10:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger Kati said...

Then as long as you think it'll hold your interest and you'll wear it(even if it's not right away,) I'd go for the shawl.

Plus wouldn't you get bored with Rogue doing it again?

Fri Jan 20, 01:41:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I'd be doing it cardigan-style this time, so it would be a bit of a different experience (not knitting in the round, for one). But I'm thinking I probably will be going for Peacock Feathers after all, once I finish this danged cabled jacket.

Fri Jan 20, 09:37:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home