Breaking the yarn diet?
All right. So I have a confession to make. Here goes.
My name is Kati, and I want to break my yarn diet.
What? Don't look at me like that! It's not what you think! I know, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "But Kati, you went out and stashed earlier this year so you could just dig into the stash and make something without having to go to the yarn store or wait for yarn to come from elann. You were thinking ahead, and now you have enough yarn to knit with until 2010. You have two boxes full of yarn, and enough cotton fleece to feed a small country. Why do you need more yarn?"
Because I still want to knit this. Not only does it use Calmer sub yarn (Oh Calmer, My Calmer!), it's sister approved cute. It's a rare piece of clothing that both of us squee over. And seeing as I worked an extra five hours yesterday, I think I can buy yarn. The question is, what colour should I buy?
But the desire to buy yarn isn't just limited to the Merino Stretch. You see, within the past year, I've been adding a lot of browns (okay, so they're pretty much all chocolate browns) to my wardrobe. This can be problematic for the girl who is rarely found without a piece of black clothing on her. And you see, I usually carry my big black felted hobo knitting bag with me to work since I no longer need my school bag. But when I want to wear my cute new skirt with the brown flowers which only works with my brown tops, I can't exactly use my black hobo bag, and miss sophie is not big enough. So, I've been thinking about making a new brown-clothing friendly hobo bag, but what colour should it be? Granted, I'm fine with any other wools for this, but if I'm going to be ordering from Elann anyway, might as well consider the Highland Wool first. Although, I still have to pick a pattern, since I don't want to do exactly the same bag as the black one, but it needs to be larger than Miss Sophie, obviously. Ahh, choices.
And still no pictures. I fail at life.
My name is Kati, and I want to break my yarn diet.
What? Don't look at me like that! It's not what you think! I know, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "But Kati, you went out and stashed earlier this year so you could just dig into the stash and make something without having to go to the yarn store or wait for yarn to come from elann. You were thinking ahead, and now you have enough yarn to knit with until 2010. You have two boxes full of yarn, and enough cotton fleece to feed a small country. Why do you need more yarn?"
Because I still want to knit this. Not only does it use Calmer sub yarn (Oh Calmer, My Calmer!), it's sister approved cute. It's a rare piece of clothing that both of us squee over. And seeing as I worked an extra five hours yesterday, I think I can buy yarn. The question is, what colour should I buy?
But the desire to buy yarn isn't just limited to the Merino Stretch. You see, within the past year, I've been adding a lot of browns (okay, so they're pretty much all chocolate browns) to my wardrobe. This can be problematic for the girl who is rarely found without a piece of black clothing on her. And you see, I usually carry my big black felted hobo knitting bag with me to work since I no longer need my school bag. But when I want to wear my cute new skirt with the brown flowers which only works with my brown tops, I can't exactly use my black hobo bag, and miss sophie is not big enough. So, I've been thinking about making a new brown-clothing friendly hobo bag, but what colour should it be? Granted, I'm fine with any other wools for this, but if I'm going to be ordering from Elann anyway, might as well consider the Highland Wool first. Although, I still have to pick a pattern, since I don't want to do exactly the same bag as the black one, but it needs to be larger than Miss Sophie, obviously. Ahh, choices.
And still no pictures. I fail at life.
Labels: Kati



5 Comments:
I like Cabernet, North Sea, and Parisian Blue as my top three, with Mulberry as the fourth choice; I have the Midnight and it's a very dark blue -- it almost looks black. Heck, if I weren't already stashing up on everything already, I'd do a knitalong with you. (DO NOT TEMPT ME, KATI. DO NOT.)
The browns they have left aren't very chocolate-friendly, but Serengeti Sand would be a nice choice, I think.
My thoughts were Parisian Blue or Cashmere Blue, but those wouldn't work as well with jeans (too much blue) so then I thought Mulberry or Camellia. The problem with Cabernet and North Sea is that they're a little too rich for my skin tones, from what I can tell. I think I'll probably get the Mulberry, since I don't have many purples going on, unless the Parisian Blue or the Black make a convincing arguement.
As far as the felting goes, I don't care if it's brown, I just a brown-complimenting colour. I was thinking one of the blues or purples (with Wistera, Dusky Lavender, and Blue Vista calling.) I mean, I use my pink sophie when I wear browns most of the time, but I just need something a little bigger sometimes.
And I think you want to be tempted, don't you, Miss Enabler! You can always take a look at the pattern later and sub a stash yarn for it if you decide you want to do a knitalong.
Hmm. Yeah, that's the problem with blues -- I don't like wearing denim-colored tops with jeans, and since I, you know, live in jeans, it's tough sometimes. You already have black yarn for Mariah, which is also a cardigan. But I think Mulberry would work well for you.
And I think I was picking out colors for me, there. Hmm. Perhaps I'll look into it further when I get home (must not buy yarn at work, must not buy yarn at work!).
And blue and purple is always awesome with brown, as is pink. Maybe get a richer pink than the Sophie?
I think I'm going for the Mulberry, after polling a couple other people. And I figured you were picking for your skin tone because those are definitely your colours.
And I was bad and went to soft horizons today and bought some kureyon for a boogaj bag to match my browns, but I think I'll get some demin yarn from elann to make the Tasha bag from knitty as well, that way all my bases are covered, yo. (That and I've wanted to make Tasha for ages but rowan demin is expensive.)
I did go ahead and order the North Sea (since I'm already making a raspberry-colored pullover) yesterday, so that should be good times. Knitalong! (This is also why I am selling other stuff off.)
But yeah, hey, Kureyon! And that's definitely not breaking your yarn diet if you used your certificate.
Post a Comment
<< Home