Sunday, February 26, 2006

the last metaphor

So here we are, having just finished row 184:

Hmm.

This has been a tough final week, with tests, personal stuff, short story workshop, and attempting to get myself busy and out of the house. So the knitting has fallen to the wayside this week. I picked up the knitting on Friday after doing maybe six rows on Thursday (during the figure skating), did about a row and 3/4s, and my wrist started hurting, so I put it back down. I finished off that purl row for the photo, and that's been about all I've done for the past three to four days.

I didn't really expect to finish this and medal, since it's the most complicated lace project I've attempted. The first three four (Petit Chou from Knitty, the Flower Basket shawl, Butterfly, Orangina -- HushHush was also lace, but I "got" it; after all, it's just Feather and Fan) have all been ripped back several times out of frustration, because I Just Didn't Get It. This is the only one where I've been able to stand back, really look at it, and understand what I've done wrong within the row or been able to fix it in the next row (losing/gaining a YO where it should/shouldn/'t be is the biggest problem), so for that I'm grateful.

For a final Olympic metaphor, I would choose Kimmie Meissner as the athlete who represents me best. All of the hoopla was about Michelle Kwan, then Emily Hughes replacing her, and would Sasha Cohen be able to pull it off after coming in first in the Nationals. But Kimmie came in with very little pressure or attention on her, and she did very well for being all of sixteen. She still has some work to do, but she finished in sixth after five of the world's best skaters, after leading for most of the short program. So good job, Kimmie!

Anyway, after all of that Olympics stuff, I'd think we'd be ready for some spring, don't you?

That's more like it!

Rowan 4-ply Cotton in Cooking Apple and Bluebell. The Cooking Apple is for my third attempt at Orangina after trying with two Elann cottons (Endless Summer Lara, 2-ply coned cotton) and not liking the results. Might as well try the actual yarn, right? The Bluebell is for Gemma from Rowan 37, with the Peacock Calmer that will probably arrive on Monday. Next to it is the Stretch Merino for an idea of the colors I'll be working with. It'll be very peacock-y (green and blue) compared to the red Peacock Feathers. But I still have all of that wool to work with, so I'll be knitting those up first. Not to forget the socks... Yeah, did I mention that things have been going rough lately?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Peacock Chic said...

Let me be the first to congratulate you!! Even though you did not finish you did such a great showing at the Olympics. I didn't even get close to finishing my peacock, because unlike you, the mistakes were hard to find. Guess this should not have been my first lace project. But I will triumph and finish the peacock someday. Now for the frogging :O(

Sun Feb 26, 08:06:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home