Thursday, March 30, 2006

On Stash

It's spring break, I'm back in California, and I've been thinking about my stash. I've gone (somewhat) through and listed all (or most of) the projects I have in my stash. I now have enough sock yarn to knit a pair of socks for every day for over two weeks. (And there will be more once I get back to Oregon.)

Last Saturday we had a garage sale at my grandmother's house, selling off her old things, including her crafts. I went through and picked up some of the 100% wool things as well as a bag of stitch holders, tapestry needles (always necessary!), crochet hooks, and the silver Susan Bates yarn gauge that she showed me last summer and, when I expressed interest, she said, "You can't have it." I also got a crockpot for dyeing yarn, her old typewriter (I bought a new ribbon for it and it works like a charm), and some bracelets.

Here's a picture (from my phone) of the leftovers of her stash:



This is, of course, after her caretaker and I went through it. But still.

This summer, though, when we went to Commuknity (the post about that trip is here), she bought two skeins of Noro Silk Garden to make my cousin Lesley a scarf. She never finished it, so I did.



Lesley's scarf uses two skeins of Noro Silk Garden color 226 on size 10 needles. Cast on 28 stitches, work K3, P2 rib with the last three stitches K3. Work until both skeins are knit up, cast off in pattern, weave in ends.

I've also been working on Birch (a delayed plane gave me enough time to cast on all 299 stitches in the airport) and on my sock (my travel knitting). I almost finished the Magnolia collar before I left Eugene, and my goal is to finish up the projects in my sidebar (Magnolia and Peacock Feathers, mostly, then Birch and Rosa, then going back to Butterfly) before throwing myself into socks full-time for the summer.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home