Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloweenie.

Happy Halloween! I love Halloween, but since I've been doing Rocky Horror Picture Show for the past four Halloweens, I really haven't had a decent Halloween for... the past four years, because all of my time and energy goes into Rocky and then I get tired and crash. Last year we slept in, dressed up, walked a block and had dinner, then went back home. Lamest Halloween ever.

Anyway, some reviews! Because it's my turn, again, apparently.

- Magknits' October issue (coming out on... the last day of October. Okay!). Mostly sweaters again this time, which is nice after the accessory-heavy last issue. It'd be nice if they were more balanced instead of alternating SWEATERSSWEATERSSWEATERS and ACCESSORIESETC. A good balance is important. Anyway, some not-bad things: Durrow is cool but neither the boyfriend (yep, back together) or I do celtic cables, the tunic is cute but, uh, pretty basic for something that uses an expensive yarn but doesn't really do anything with it. If you're going to be springing for ten or more balls of Cashmerino Aran, you should do something a little more special with it than a stockinette tunic. I do like the neckline. The shawl patterns/article is really quite clever; I'm a little bit anti-that poem because of overdoses of it in high school, but yeah. Flirt is cute but not really something I'd get much use out of, I think. The other two are just... I'm not a colorwork person. Also, living in Oregon during the wet, really wet, and still wet seasons (fall, winter, and spring)? There is absolutely no need for fake layers. We use REAL layers here, thanks. Plus, since I've been working with Kid Classic, I wouldn't wear it against the skin because of the mohair content. So you actually have to wear a layer underneath that sweater anyway. Why bother faking a layer over the layer you have to wear underneath the mohair?

- A new knitting magazine called The AntiCraft also came out. Now this is pretty cool. I like the layout a lot, the style is really cool, they have a good eye for photography and web design, a good sense of humor, and I like that the yarn selection tends on the easily available so there'll be fewer "how-do-I-substitute-this-yarn" questions. However, while I do appreciate the goth and/or punk aesthetic, I don't dress that way. With that said, the only things I could really see myself making are Bad Juju (the voodoo doll) as a base for other people-shaped things (I know a certain someone has been looking for knit plushie base patterns), and possibly Flowers on a Grave, but I already have a hat similar to it. Heart-Shaped Box is also a cool thing, but I don't know how willing I am to work with wire. The only real problem I have? The two-part patterns, like the skeleton bag and the variations on the scarf, have two pictures on the main page, but go to the same link. So it looks like there are more patterns then there actually are, so when I clicked on the second scarf picture, I was like "hey, this is the link I just clicked on. Boooo."

And that's about that for today. All I've been working on since that last post? Yeah, the mystery item at the end. I re-cast on for it on Thursday and that's all I've been doing since.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like that flowers hat, I could see myself doing something similar. I also like the idea of the armwarmers but I would do a different pattern, as skulls and snowflakes are not really my thing.

Tue Nov 01, 06:03:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

!!!!!!!

That is PERFECT. I was looking at the doll book that came out with the cute scraggly/skinny people, but the bodies just weren't huggly enough. Whereas this, this meets all huggly quotients.

Thank you for the hook up ;)

Tue Nov 01, 09:33:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home