Friday, October 21, 2005

on babies and knitting

Because we love the sordid celebrity gossip, Katie Holmes is learning how to knit for her baaaaby. Yuck. (Link yoinked from Almost Felted.) Well, it'll give her something to do when she has her silent birth. ("Gee, Kate, your knitting tension is awfully tight. Are you tense? Do you want to say something? WELL, YOU CAN'T. KEEP KNITTING.")

Yesterday I finished seaming up the baby sweater (side and sleeve seams) and started weaving in ends. I'm more than halfway done, which means that this sweater will have taken a full week if I finish tonight. Here's the timeline:

Friday -- bought yarn, cast on and knitted back piece, bound off back piece, cast on and knitted left front.
Saturday -- knitted left front, bound off left front, cast on and knitted right front, bound off right front, cast on and knitted first sleeve, bound off first sleeve, bought another ball of yarn (and buttons), cast on and knitted second sleeve
Sunday -- knitted second sleeve, bound off second sleeve, attached body pieces with 3-needle bind off, knitted and attached buttonbands
Monday -- knitted neckband
Tuesday -- marinaded (i.e. I did nothing)
Wednesday -- seamed in sleeves
Thursday -- body seams, sleeve seams, started weaving in ends
Friday -- ...marinading (i.e. I have more ends to weave in and buttons to sew on)

Man.

The next time I knit a baby sweater in under a week? Yeah, only if I suddenly wake up and find myself in my third trimester ("surprise!"). Or a very close female relative wakes up and finds herself in her third trimester. Considering that my closest female relatives are within my immediate age range (or younger) or, for various reasons, aren't expecting/able to have more children... I'll be taking my time.

Also, that Rowan sweater hasn't shown up yet. The voodoo trick of "knitting something new so the old one will show up" hasn't seemed to work yet. Dang.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home