Sunday, December 04, 2005

Out with the old, in with the new.

At least, I wish that's what I could say. I'm still working on cabled jacket -- I finished the left front today (hooray!) and started on the right front. I've been worrying the whole time that I've made it too long, but I compared it to another jacket I've been wearing and the length should be fine. I want to get as much of the jacket done before I head back to California (which looks to be next weekend, instead of mid-week) and then get started on Aimee so I can have that for Christmas. Hopefully. Even though it involves a lot of needle-changing (2s, 3s, 5s, and 7s)...

Anyway, the new Magknits came out earlier this week and it's all purses. I mentioned with the last Magknits issue that there needs to be a better balance between accessory-heavy issues and sweater-heavy issues, but this just proves the point even more. If you're not looking to knit a bag, which I'm not, this issue wasn't very useful. So that's too bad. I also think it's strange that the "November" issue comes out on the last day of November, versus the, well, first day of the month. November's already over before we get the issue! Just rename it to December and let's move on.

Then the new Knitty came out tonight, and there's actually some cute stuff. I know that part of the idea this time around was "cute holiday gifts that use up stash", and a lot of those patterns fit that pretty well. Things I can see myself actually making: Tempting II, probably, but I don't like 1x1 rib. Festive with more shaping and some embroidery, maybe. And Tubey is really awesome, too. I really like the colors chosen, and the neckline is really (ding!) attractive. I might add ribbing to the wrists instead of the bell-sleeve, though, just to smooth the silhouette out. If I suddenly come into a lot of money, I probably would go ahead and make it in the Cashmerino or possibly Aurora 8. But that'll be something that I'm going to keep in mind for the future.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The knitty totally looks awesome! I too am oggling Tubey, along with some of those cute little random things (the kitty!). The funny thing about knitty is that even when they have the theme there's usually at least one thing that can appeal to everybody no matter what. Magknits should take notice.

I cheer you on with the cabled jacket. Is the goal to get as much done and leave it in Oregon or take it home and work on it after Aimee?

Mon Dec 05, 08:59:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Well, the goal was to get as much done as possible before leaving, but now the leaving-date has been bumped up again...

Mon Dec 05, 02:09:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home